Sunday 9 September 2012

How to make your own chalkboard paint - UK Instructions!

A DIY Custom Colour Chalkboard Chicken!
As you may have gathered from lots of my previous posts - I am now seriously addicted to Pinterest!

I mostly use it for ideas and inspiration for made by lolly - but thanks to the huge diversity of 'pins' available, it is also really easy to find lots of hints and tips for other subjects - including craft tutorials. The DIY craft tutorial that pops up most often is the 'How to make your own chalkboard paint'

The majority of these pins take you back to blog posts written by DIY craft enthusiasts in the US who have all had a go at making chalkboard paint for themselves. Every single one of them has a slightly different recipe, and different hints and tips - but the one thing that unites them is the fact that it actually seems to work!

So... I thought I might have a little go myself...

The most common recipe for DIY chalkboard paint appears to be taken from Martha Stewart's website and can be found here: Custom Colour Chalkboard Paint But for my attempt at DIY I wanted to combine this basic recipe with all of the hints and tips that I had found - and convert it for a UK audience!

So... Here is the incredibly simple made by lolly recipe for DIY chalkboard paint:
Powdered Tile Grout, Water, Acrylic Paint : MIX : PAINT
In case that's just a little too minimalist for you,
I have also written out a slightly more detailed recipe:
1. This chalkboard paint is made in the ratio of 1:10
e.g. for each measure of tile grout you will need approximately 10 measures of acrylic paint. For my sample pot I used half a teaspoon of tile grout (2.5ml) and 25ml of paint - for larger amounts just increase the quantities
2. Use 'unsanded' tile grout
I used Wilko White Tile Grout which cost just £1.40
3. To avoid lumps, mix the tile grout with a few drops of water before adding the paint, then stir well
The final colour of the chalkboard paint will be a little lighter than the original colour. If you want a very vibrant colour chalkboard paint then make sure you start with a good quality acrylic paint with a high level of pigment!
4. Ensure the item to be painted is clean, dry, dust free and suitable for painting
i.e. some surfaces, such as laminate wood may need to be painted with a suitable primer first
5. Use a roller to apply the paint in thin layers to avoid brush marks
I found my paint dried very quickly and  I could re-paint a second and third layer almost immediately
6. Wait at least 2 hours for the paint to completely dry
At this stage you my wish to lightly smooth the surface using sandpaper - but I found that this wasn't necessary with the items I had painted
7. 'Condition' the surface by rubbing the whole area with chalk, then rub off!
Use a damp cloth if necessary
8. Think of silly messages to write on your new chalkboard!
You should be able to use both traditional chalk and chalkboard pens on your newly painted chalkboard!

EDIT: Since I wrote this blog, I have found some really fab tips for how to draw like an artist on a chalkboard on the 'inmyownstyle.com' page. Click HERE for the link!
 
Once you've had a go at making a small sample - why not try something a little bigger...

A terracotta plant pot decorated with it's own chalk paint label?
A chalk paint memo board on one of the kitchen cupboards?
A giant chalkboard painted directly onto a child's bedroom wall?

Once you start looking, you'll be surprised at what uses you can find for chalkboard paint!

Please feel free to use my chalkboard paint tutorial to create some projects of your own! I'd love to know what you use it for!

Leave me a comment below if you think you might try this for yourself!

30 comments:

  1. Fantastic recipe, thanks for sharing it. Was going to invest in some 'proper' chalkboard paint but am wondering now whether I'll try this instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I've not got any 'proper' chalk paint to compare it to, but I was fairly pleased with the results. It may be worth a try! Let me know if you have a go, I'd love to know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. I intend to paint a kitchen cupboard door in said blackboard paint, but will have to wait til the kitchen itself is a bit more 'renovated'! Btw, have linked to your great York crafting post on my blog :-)

      Delete
    3. Even more reason to have a practice with the chalkboard paint on one of the kitchen cupboards now! Thanks so much for linking my crafty shopping blog too - York is definitely worth a return visit!

      Delete
    4. I will return and hope for sunshine! Good point, might be worth having a practice run on one of the old cupboard doors - unfortunately they're good for very little else :-(

      Love the extra link to how to draw like an artist with chalk :-)

      Delete
  2. I love pinterest too! It's so easy to become a bit addicted to it, theres loads of great ideas on there, I'm defiantely going to be searching for ideas of Christmas presents to make!

    Gemma

    yousewshould.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep checking back - over the next few weeks I have a few more blog posts planned that feature Pinterest collections! It's great for ideas and inspiration! You can find me at http://pinterest.com/madebylolly/ if you fancy some sneak peeks!

      Delete
  3. Will definitely be trying this....seen lots of recipes on pinterest also....been looking for a uk version.....didn't know where to get unsanded grout....now I do! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is fantastic!

    i'm thinking (when i finally get my house) that i'll be painting tiny plant pots to put herbs in so i can label each pot individually (and obviously draw many "necessary" pictures too!)
    we're also going to have a board in the kitchen with this, maybe even a rainbow one so i can test out loads of different colours!

    not sure if you'll have thought of it but it'd be a really good idea to cover an mdf heart too for valentines and write messages to remind your loved ones how special they are =]

    thanks for giving me such a great cheap way of doing this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am addicted to pinterest, its amazing. I have always been creative since childhood, hence I became an interior designer. Discovering pinterest has opened up a whole new world & has taken over my life.... lol
    Thanks for sharing the uk instructions, I have spent the last two hours trying to find a stockist for un sanded grout..!! But guess what? I'm going to wilkos tomorrow ha ha, then the customers to who I supply the black bottles to for their restaurants will be able to have them in 'sky blue pink' if they wish... Thanks once again, yr a star..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, glad I could help! Hope you have had fun making chalkboard paint in lots of lovely colours!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am addicted to pinterest, its amazing. I have always been creative since childhood, hence I became an interior designer. Discovering pinterest has opened up a whole new world & has taken over my life.... lol
    Thanks for sharing the uk instructions, I have spent the last two hours trying to find a stockist for un sanded grout..!! But guess what? I'm going to wilkos tomorrow ha ha, then the customers to who I supply the black bottles to for their restaurants will be able to have them in 'sky blue pink' if they wish... Thanks once again, yr a star..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of home-made chalk paint, but I have a question, Lolly, what acrylic paint did you use?
    Can emulsion paint be used? I have a lot of match-pots.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I used some 'Folk Art' acrylic craft paint (available from Hobbycraft and Panduro and lots of other places)... I have never tried it with emulsion. All of the 'recipes' I looked at when I was researching this post all used acrylic. SO the simple answer is - I don't know! But why not have an experiment and report back, I'd love to know how you got on! (What's the worse that could happen?! lol!)

      Delete
  9. Thanks, I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you!!! I have been trying to find a recipe for chalk board paint for an age, then you came along!!! Thank you zoe xxx
    http://craftybitchzoe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you! i was searching for blackboard paint prices for my wedding decorations and found this! you've saved me a bundle i'm sure and i never thought of multi colored paint........ the idea's are now brewing :D if they work out i shall let you know!

    Thank you again
    Emilia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Emilia! Good Luck! Have fun experimenting - I can't wait to hear how you get on :-)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the UK measurements!! I've just used your ratio for our kitchen wall, painting it turquoise, and it worked out perfectly, our daughter loves it! For anyone looking at all the US versions when they they say use a 'latex water base paint', I've found out on a painters forum that our equivalent is 'emulsion paint'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm so pleased someone tried a large scale chalk paint project - and even more pleased to hear that it worked! :-) I'm currently in the process of giving an old cabinet a chalk paint make-over and will be sharing the results once I have got round to finishing it off! Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and share your success story!

      Delete
    2. Great, I think you should definitely post your version on pinterest as everything is US based, and was racking by brain for a while on the measurements, and the 'unsanded' grout (!?)...had many a blank looks for the b&q guys!!

      Delete
  14. Mindsets & Lifestyles have to change....or it will keep passing on to all generations...Praying that change will come.... Three Dancers

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOSH!!!!!! You are my hero!!!
    Do you know how long I have been searching for suitable tile grout to buy in the UK?! Forever!!!!
    I am so happy!!! Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou x1000000000000
    Sarah xxxx
    www.whimsicalmumblings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah Bear! So glad I could help. I hope your experiments with halk paint go well :-)

      Delete
  16. Can this recipe be used outside?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Juliemarie.... I'm really not sure! I've never tried this paint on anything that will be left outside. Chalk paint is generally less hard wearing than other paints... but the acrylic should help protect it... The best thing I can suggest is to have a try and let me know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are no longer doing that tile grout at Wilko. How do you tell if it's unsanded? Can you recommend an alternative? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you ! I have been searching everywhere for someone to tell me whether our powdered grout was what I needed for chalkboard paint!! Am off out tomorrow to get some! 😊😊😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...